Saturday, May 1, 2010

April 30
We barely got our act together for the noon checkout, but hit the road in sweltering heat by 12:30pm.
Things started looking more and more interesting and quaint throughout middle Indiana. We passed through a town of murals and Amish Acres.



At some point we crossed a time zone line, flew back an hour in time, and that extra hour gave us just the boost we needed to make it out of Indiana into Illinois!
In Illinois the wind picked up, as did the humidity. We found an abandoned house, whose garden was growing out of control. We stopped to investigate staying there for the evening, but the traffic noise made us think better of it. So we traveled down to the Des Plains Conservation Area, found a hunting area and set up camp there. At this point I learned the area was under a severe thunderstorm warning AND a tornado watch. Thankfully we survived the night peacefully in a steamy car with the rain pelting down outside.

1 comment:

  1. I never imagined having such a great time on this vicarious trip as I am experiencing each and every day that I check the blogspot. Your description of the sights have me feeling like I’m right there. The only problem is that I’m sitting right behind kitty and his head is blocking the way.

    ReplyDelete