Wednesday, May 5, 2010


We made it into Colorado! What we've seen east of Denver are highlands, gentle slopes, with lots of wind and not much else. The speed limit on the highway is 75 miles per hour (close 120 kilometers per hour). With all these empty miles of land and the strong wind and sun, I'm surprised that there aren't any windmills or solar panels out here.
Mateo says that Colorado is like Hawaii's Big Island, it's full of diverse terrain. We'll be crossing through suburbia hell, high flatland, the Rocky mountains, a big city, etc.
I got an instant sunburn upon crossing into Colorado (on my exposed driver's side arm) because there are no clouds and we're at an elevation now. So I'm slathering on sunscreen for the rest of the trip. With the high elevation of Colorado, followed by the merciless sun of the West's deserts, I'm no match.
We also passed through the town of Sterling, which is my brother's name. So we stopped at their visitors' center and sent out some postcards. Sterling, except more than a few from us! The ladies at the centre told us that last weekend Route 6 all through the Rocky Mountains had been closed due to snow. They have since been reopened, but the news frightened and excited me. Will we be camping in snow? Will it take a day just getting through the mountains due to hazardous road conditions? will we get stuck? Hopefully the snow won't have all melted. I think the Rockies will be spectacular with some snow on the ground.

Today (Cinco de Mayo) we will visit friends in Colorado Springs for a fun diversion from our Route 6 tour. We might end up staying in Colorado for the longest period of time of all the states along our route.

Mateo said that the last time he did this trip, he was in California the day after Colorado. So, the end of our trip is near! In a way I'm thrilled to be at the end. I am very, very anxious to get back to normal living. Technically Mateo and I have been on vacation for over two months now. Prior to leaving Italy we traveled in Eastern Europe, then we had to move out of our apartment in Italy, then we stayed in Massachusetts at his parents' house, then this trip. Even prior to our Poland & Ukraine trip, we had some last minute visitors from the states staying at the house, so life hasn't been "normal" for awhile.
I love to travel and experience things, but I think I don't love it so much when it's continuous. I don't think I'd make a very good nomad. I like having a tiny home to make my own, then travel to far off places, only to return to my oasis.

No comments:

Post a Comment