Sunday, May 16, 2010

Igloo in Nevada (May 11)

At around 6am the cat woke me up. She was restless. I didn't really focus my eyes. I probably didn't even open them. I just moved my hand around inside the sleeping bag for the cat to chase, so she'd be entertained enough to quit meowing. But, the usual trick didn't work. She was insistent on clawing at the ceiling of the car and scraping at the windows. This was the first time she had done such a thing, so my curiosity was peeked. I opened/focused my eyes.
SNOW! Snow covered the entire car. I couldn't see out. Perhaps this is why the cat was panicking a little, she figured we were being buried alive. I found out soon enough that a whole four inches or so of snow covered us in the night. We were literally in an igloo, which is probably why for the first time on our trip I didn't wake up freezing. The thick layer of snow covering us had trapped in some warmth overnight.
My astonishment was quickly replaced by concern. We had parked the car purposefully in a concealed area, two miles from the main road. The main road which is actually quite a lonely road, 100 miles to the next services. The main road which had been closed for a weekend due to snowfall just this month. And we had no cell phone reception. Basically, we were in the middle of nowhere, unprepared for the weather, and dealing with the possibility that we might be stuck.
Mateo grabbed his Army jacket and scraped off the snow with a shoe of mine. We didn't bring a snow brush. I thought about it. I packed one away for the trip, but somehow it got tossed into the jumble of us moving all our household goods. So he tried his best with a shoe.
I turned on the defrost and it turned a nickel-size chip in our windshield into a full two foot crack!
I packed away our sleeping bags behind us in a huge mess, because I wasn't getting out of the car in the snow. Mateo returned behind the wheel a good 15 minutes later and we set off precariously down the dirt, now snow-covered road.
Yup, we missed the lunar crater. There was no way we were traveling further down the unmaintained roads with snow coming down like it was. Our plan was to get to the major road, assess the conditions, and possibly wait a few days for Route 6 to be cleared. Thankfully the Route wasn't in too poor of condition. Mateo just took the roads slowly (25mph slow)
And, an hour down the road, coming the opposite direction we were met by someone clearing the roads. I sighed a bit of relief at the sight of the snow plow... we wouldn't be stuck on the road!
We would have been in decent condition if we had been stuck, however. We had sleeping gear, food, water, etc. We had no cell phone reception what so ever, but I think we could have managed a few nights in that spot if we had to.
Once we cleared past the snowy area and hit the sunny, desert heat we pulled over and took a short, badly needed nap to recover from the early morning adventure.
So, apparently kitty doesn't like snow. Or maybe it was the not being able to see out the window. Anyhow, I like to think she's destined to be a Hawaiian kitty.

No comments:

Post a Comment